Ofgem provide information and advice for those experiencing challenges in paying energy bills.  Ofgem recommend that if you are struggling to pay for energy or think you may get into difficulty, contact your supplier. Find information about how to identify your gas and/or electricity supplier here. Ofgem advises that suppliers must work with you to agree on a payment plan you can afford under Ofgem rules. Ofgem advises that you can ask your supplier for: 

  • a review of your payments and debt repayments 
  • payment breaks or reductions  
  • more time to pay 
  • access to hardship funds 
  • advice on how to use less energy 
  • Priority Service registration – a free support service if you are in a vulnerable situation. 

Citizens Advice list grants that are available to support energy bill payment can be found here.  

SHINE The Seasonal Health Intervention Network is a fuel poverty referral network and free energy advice service for Londoners. The SHINE hub is located within Islington Council and run by the Energy Advice Service. All callers undergo a SHINE assessment to see what services they would be eligible and suitable for. The SHINE hub assess and refer for electricity and water discounts, heating and insulation grants to improve household efficiency and refer households with additional needs to supplier and power network to Priority Service Registers For self-referrals, call 0300 555 0195 to speak to an advisor, 9am and 5pm, Mon-Fri. or third party referrals, please use our online form or email [email protected]. 

Action for Warm Houses provide advice and support to people struggling to heat their homes affordably, either directly or via community engagement projects and outreach. Contact them through their webchat. 

Simple Energy Advice provide personalised advice on how you can go about making home improvements to make your home greener and more energy efficient based on your postcode here.   

Age UK provide specialist energy support for older people and advises whether older people are accessing all the support available to them and provides guidance on billing, meters and complaints. Call 0800 055 6112 for specialist support.  

Scope offer free energy and water advice to disabled people, helping them to manage their energy and water needs. 

Ofwat offer advice on how your water provider can help you if you are struggling with paying your bills. Find out a little more about the WaterSure scheme here - it is available for certain customers with a water meter and allows bills to be capped.